Historic Capital Cadillac
In terms of rich histories among auto dealerships, Capital Cadillac has one of the longest and resilient historical tales from a dealership. Since its inception, it has been Georgia's largest Cadillac dealer.
The dealership opened for business in 1930; it was first established as Atlanta Cadillac, and then operated as Martin Cadillac until Elwyn Tomlinson bought it in 1930 and renamed it as Capital Automobile.
In order to survive changing economies, the dealership had to be resilient and Elwyn had to make adjustments to his business. One way he adapted to changing economies was during WW2 when new cars were not being produced.
Tomlinson closed down the new car department and rented out the space to Naval recruiters. The income generated from the Navy rental lease and the revenue brought in from used car sales allowed Elwyn Tomlinson to stay afloat during the war. He fully reopened his Cadillac dealership years later.
Since that adaptive strategy, the dealership has been passed down through the family and has maintained Master Dealer status for the past 18 years. Only 1 percent of dealers qualify for that honor.
While creative managing played a part in the success of this dealership's survival, we would also like to thank the many people who have helped build this dealership and contribute to our core belief in excellent customer service.